Any time we use a needle, a bruise can happen. We have a few suggestions that may help lessen your chance of bruising:
- No aspirin, Aleve, Advil or Ibuprofen 1 week prior to your appointment (extra strength Tylenol is fine).
- Do not take Vitamin E or Fish oil one week prior to injections. Your multivitamin is OK.
- Stop alcohol 2 days prior to injections.
- No garlic 2 days prior to injections.
- Eat pineapple 2-3 times 1-2 days prior to injections.
- Take Arnica one day prior or morning of injection. We have packs in our office ($12) or it can be purchased at Pharmaca or WholeFoods.
Do not use Arnica if you have active heart disease, uncontrolled high blood pressure, or are taking Coumadin, Lovenox, Heparin, or xeralto. If you have a medical condition that affects clotting or are on a medication which affects bloods clotting, you must get your primary care doctor’s approval before taking arnica.
DIRECTIONS for ARNICA: Start the day of treatment (or the day before). For VitaMedica Arnica Montana 30x HPUS 30 tablet blister pack (available at Madison Skin) take 2 pellets in the mouth 3 times a day for 5 days. If you purchase Arnica outside our office, choose the Arnica 30x and follow instructions on packaging. To ensure proper absorption do not eat or drink anything but water for 15 minutes before or 15 minutes after taking Arnica.
STOP USE AND ASK DOCTOR IF: bruising symptoms persist more than three days or get worse.
If you do get a bruise, it is helpful to use warm compresses, starting 48 hours after treatment, on the bruised area twice a day for 10-15 minutes.